Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

Yum, is all I can say about this cake. I mean, you can't really go wrong with chocolate cake, but this one is really, really good. I usually make my go to chocolate cake, but I wanted to ditch the box, so I found this recipe. It was easy, and yummy! I used it for the second layer in my son's birthday cake, so again, no picture from me, but I was able to paste the one that is on the Hershey's website so you could see just how good it looks. I didn't use the icing recipe, since I used buttercream for the birthday cake, but it's the same as my other chocolate cake icing recipe. I will tell you, this cake makes a lot of cake. I halved it and used it in two 8 inch round cake pans, and it baked right up to the top. So don't use anything smaller than a 9 inch cake pan or you will have to clean up your oven, like I did the first time. Shhh...don't tell anyone that I messed up the first cake!
picture from Hershey's.com

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
chocolate icing (recipe below)

Directions:
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans. Or use Pam Baking spray.

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with perfectly chocolate chocolate frosting, recipe below.

"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

4 comments:

Laur said...

YUM! I just went to Hershey Park this weekend...this would have been perfect for my Tuesday Treat!

Siggy said...

This is my FAVORITE chocolate cake recipe. I serve it with a sticky, fudgey frosting made with sweetened condensed milk...holy YUM! Great combo!!!

Avril said...

YUM! I haven't made this cake in so long! - thanks for the reminder. :-)

Your cake came out beautiful!!!!

amber@This Mommy Cooks said...

Thanks Avril! Too bad I took that picture from Hershey's website! =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails