Friday, November 4, 2011

Coconut Shrimp with Dipping Sauce

Oh my word these were good. On the way to our honeymoon, my husband and I had a layover in Jamaica. We decided to have an appetizer at Margaritaville while we waited for our next flight. I ordered coconut shrimp. They were so good! I don't usually like coconut, but for some reason I ordered this. I am glad I did. I have literally thought about those shrimp since that day, and a week later when we ordered them again while waiting for our connecting flight home. Finally, I attempted to make them for my family. This recipe was a hit. So delicious! It takes a bit of time, but it's worth it. The sauce is also really good. I went back and forth between the one below and sweet chili sauce. Both are good. Give it a try!



Coconut Shrimp with Dipping Sauce
from All Recipes

Ingredients:
for shrimp:
1 egg
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup beer
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups flaked coconut (I used sweetened.)
24 large shrimp or approx 40 small/medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 cups oil for frying

dipping sauce:
1/2 cup orange marmalade
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish

Directions:
for shrimp:
In medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, beer, and baking powder. In two separate bowls place 1/4 cup flour and coconut. Hold shrimp by tail, and dredge in flour, shaking off excess flour, then dip the shrimop in the egg/beer batter; allow excess to drip off. Last, roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Place in freezer for 15 minutes, or refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a deep-fryer or deep pan/pot. Fry shrimp in batches: cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with dipping sauce.

dipping sauce:
Combine orange marmalade, mustard, and horseradish sauce together and serve.

2 comments:

Rita said...

I have always wanted to make this; thank you for sharing your recipe;
sure looks wow.
Rita

Unknown said...

I love this type of shrimp

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails