Saturday, April 16, 2011

Inside Out Ravioli

This recipe makes a ton! I was happy with the way this turned out, but I think it could have been better. I did not note this below, but next time I will add Italian seasoning to the spaghetti sauce and meat mixture, as well as add Parmesan cheese to the cheese mixture. It tasted good, but needed a little more flavor. Using homemade spaghetti sauce would probably solve this problem, but so would adding some more seasoning, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. It was a good way to get some more green in our dinner with the spinach mixed in with the pasta. Another thing I may add, for our family's preference is more meat. As I've mentioned before, my hubby loves meat! I think with the added spices, and another pound of ground meat, I will make this into two dinners, freezing one for later. Give this a try with the changes and I think you'll be happy.




Inside Out Ravioli
adapted from Casual Cuisine

Ingredients:
1 (10-oz) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, cooked according to pkg. directions-reserve the water from cooking.
1 lb. ground turkey or beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (15-oz) jar spaghetti sauce (or your own homemade)
1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
1 (6-z) can tomato paste
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
2 TBSP oil
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 (8-oz) package penne, ziti, shell or macaroni pasta (I used whole wheat penne.)

Directions:
Bring a pot of water to a boil, and cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, cook spinach according to package directions; drain well, reserving liquid. Set aside.

Brown ground turkey or beef with onion. Once finished, add spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and spinach liquid (I only added about half of the spinach liquid because the bag was so hot!). Simmer for 10 minutes. This is where I would add in Italian seasoning and garlic.

Combine cooked spinach with bread crumbs, sour cream, oil and cheeses. (I would add Parmesan cheese here.) Mix well and add to cooked pasta. Pour meat sauce over top of pasta mixture, and stir until combined.

Spread in 9x13 baking dish (or two 8x8 or small round pans).  I would also sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top here too.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Serves 6-8

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE the look of this, looks full of flavor and pretty easy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails