Thursday, March 17, 2011

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

I love cheese. I think I have declared my love of cheese many times on this blog, but here I am again, stating the obvious, I. Love. Cheese! I also love pasta, so, but the two together and I'm in real love. I saw this recipe on Mommy's Kitchen a couple of weeks ago, and really wanted to make it right then, but I waited until I had a church potluck to go to so I would have a real reason to make something so full of calories. The original recipe used the crock pot and I've changed some of my ingredient amounts a bit. I wanted to use the crock pot to make this originally, but I didn't have time to do it, I think I will try it next time and let you know how it turns out. Anyway, this turned out absolutely amazing. So cheesy. So cheesy. So cheesy! Ahhhh, need I say more? This recipe would be just fine halved, because as it states, it serves 12 and it fills a 9x13 casserole dish. Make this soon, you'll be glad you did!



Baked Macaroni and Cheese
adapted from Mommy's Kitchen

Ingredients:
2 cups dry elbow macaroni (I used whole wheat.)
1- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
1 1/2 - cups milk
2 - large eggs, beaten
1/4 - cup butter, melted
1 - teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
4 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Directions:Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook elbow macaroni as directed. Combine the macaroni, milk, eggs, butter, salt, pepper, and all but 1/2 cup of the grated cheese. Pour mixture into greased/buttered 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bread crumbs on top of the macaroni mixture. Bake 20-30 minutes until cheese is melted and beginning to brown on top. Remove from oven, let cool 5-10 minutes before serving.

Serves 12

This recipe is linked to Potluck Sunday, Prairie Story, and It's a Keeper Thursday.

9 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

I'm not the biggest fan of cheese; but cheese and pasta is a definite must for me as well. Looks like a great recipe!

Siggy said...

Mac and Cheese is my ALL TIME favorite! Was this the recipe from Trisha YEarwood?

amber@This Mommy Cooks said...

Yes it is the Trisha Yearwood recipe, but I changed some amounts of ingredient amounts and added some. It was good!

Rita said...

One of my family's favourite meals; thank you for sharing your recipe; looks perfect,
Rita

Anonymous said...

I love macaroni & cheese too...and like the idea of using whole wheat elbows.
The only thing I do differently is use half the amount of cheddar and the rest monterey jack.

Brandie said...

You had me at cheesy...lol.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This looks so good! I love homemade mac and cheese!

Lisa said...

mmm!You can't go wrong with baked mac & cheese! This sounds delicious!

SharleneT said...

Hello from Prairie Recipe Swap. Love mac and cheese, too, and gonna try this for the next take-along. Yummy! Thanks for sharing. Come visit when you can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails