Friday, December 24, 2010

Daddy's Sausage Balls

Sausage balls have always been a part of my Christmas morning tradition. The same goes for my husband. It is not Christmas, if he doesn't have sausage balls to eat for breakfast. I've been a slacker the past couple of years and bought the frozen, already made sausage balls. This is mainly due to the fact that every time I would try and make them, they would turn out too dry. Well last weekend, while visiting with my dad, he made sausage balls for us. He let me in on what I had been doing wrong. I've always used 2 cups of Bisquick/baking mix  instead of only using 1! So this morning, as I've been slaving away in our kitchen for tomorrow, I made some of these yummies and they turned out just perfect. Thanks dad!!


Daddy's Sausage Balls
from my daddy

Ingredients:
2 pounds sausage (I used one regular and one hot.)
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 1/2-2 cups Bisquick/baking mix (I used the Bisquick Heart Healthy kind.)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl. I used my kitchen aid mixer for this because, well, it makes my life easier. I used just under 2 cups of Bisquick for these sausage balls. Mix all ingredients together until everything is incorporated and there is no longer any cheese or dry Bisquick in the bottom of the bowl. Form mixture into small balls, about an inch in diameter. I used my cookie scoop for this. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, at least a finger apart. These don't expand, so you can put them pretty close together, just make sure they don't touch. Bake in a preheated oven for 13 minutes. Check to make sure one of the sausage balls is completely cooked through, which means no red when you open one up. Let cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a paper towel so that any extra grease will be absorbed. Serve warm. Store in refrigerator for up to a couple of days. Just pop them in the microwave to warm them when you want to serve them. This recipe makes 70 sausage balls, and can easily be halved if you don't need that many.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hooray! I have always had that problem too so now I am using this recipe to make next week! Thx!

Rita said...

Love that tradition; my husband would love this. Merry Christmas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails