Thursday, September 9, 2010

Homemade Taco Seasoning

As I've mentioned before, I used to be queen of the little McCormick's seasoning packets. It made things so simple, and it always tasted good. Although they taste good, they don't always have the best ingredients. Now don't get me wrong, sometimes, I still buy those little packets for the simpleness of them, but I try not to unless I really need too. Anyway, here is a great recipe for taco seasoning I got from my friend's blog, Casual Cuisine. I've made homemade taco seasoning before, but it didn't quite taste like the packaged stuff, but this stuff was a hit. I haven't used it to make just tacos, but I used it to make my Mexican Lasagna, also from Casual Cuisine, and it tasted perfect. The boys loved the meat in the lasagna, and so did me and hubby. Don't worry, the Mexican Lasagna recipe will be posted soon!





Homemade Taco Seasoning

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 to 1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin (depending on your preference)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Directions:
Combine ingredients and use in place of a packet from the store. Or, make a larger version of this recipe all at once, and store in a jar. Use whole mix for one pound meat. When making, combine meat, seasoning, and  about 1/4 cup of water. Simmer until water has simmered down.

*For extra flavor, add half to a whole chopped onion and/or even a chopped up bell pepper when you brown your hamburger/turkey meat. I did this when I made the lasagna, and it was so yummy!

1 comment:

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

I love having homemade taco seasoning. For me it is easier to make a bigger batch and use as much or as little as I need.

Lynn
http://punkaroonie.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails