Thursday, August 19, 2010

Whole Wheat Pie Crust

OK. I think I have found the perfect whole wheat pie crust. I cannot, and I repeat, cannot stop eating this stuff! I made a new chicken pot pie (recipe to come later) a couple of nights ago, and used this recipe for the crust. IT WAS DELICIOUS! I really can't stop eating it. Even cold, this is so good! It has a great flavor and was nice and thick and flaky. It didn't taste grainy at all. Remember, that whole wheat crusts don't usually turn out quite as pretty as white flour ones, or that has been my experience. I'm hoping that the more I work with them, the prettier my edges will get. They always seem to split on the edges. I'm wondering if not using shortening has something to do with that. I don't care, it's all about taste and not appearance in my house!


Whole Wheat Pie Crust
adapted from Cheeky Kitchen

*makes 1 pie crust, double recipe for a two crust pie.

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat
1/2 cup white flour (I used all purpose.)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ cup cold butter, sliced (or one stick)
4-6 Tbsp. cold milk

Directions:
In large bowl, mix together flours, sugar, and salt. Cut in slices of butter using a pastry cutter or two knives cutting across each other until the largest pieces resemble peas. Try not to handle or touch the dough, you want it to stay as cold as possible, this will help the crust to be more flaky. Add the milk to the mixture, one tablespoon at a time, just until moistened enough to hold the dough together. I used 5-6 tablespoons of milk. Use a fork to stir the dough after you’ve added each tablespoon of milk. Quickly form the crust into a ball. Refrigerate until ready to use. I recommend rolling the dough out before refrigerating. It was quite hard to roll out once it had been in the fridge for a couple of hours. Use in your favorite pie recipe!

2 comments:

Siggy said...

Ohhhh....can't wait to try this! And SOOOO looking forward to the pot-pie recipe. I am completely aching for fall and all the yummy fall food that goes with it!

Michele said...

I'm impressed with your use of wheat flour in all your cooking/baking, I think it's great. I'm weeding out all our white flour and using mostly wheat flour now too. I'm not a pie girl and I never make my own crusts for that reason, but I do love a good pot pie. I will definitely bookmark this for later.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails