Friday, May 21, 2010

Fluffy Couscous

Have you ever had couscous? I hadn't until I made it last week. It's kind of a cross between grits and rice. I thought it was pretty good. I served chicken over it. My boys liked it too. I halved the recipe and it made plenty. Below is my version of ingredients since I halved it.

Fluffy Couscous
slightly adapted from My Kitchen Cafe

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1 cups couscous
1/2 small onion, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 cup plus 3 TBSP low-sodium chicken broth

Directions:
Melt one tablespoon of the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the couscous and cook, stirring often, until some of the grains are just beginning to brown. Transfer the couscous to a large bowl.

Melt the remaining tablespoon butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the water and broth and bring to a boil.

Pour the boiling liquid over the toasted couscous and cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let it sit until the couscous is tender, about 12-14 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and fluff the couscous with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails