Monday, March 1, 2010

Dirty Rice

I usually use Zatarain's boxed mix for dirty rice when I'm making it. But, I came across a recipe that looked really simple on Southern Plate, and thought I'd give it a try. It was so simple and tasted very similar to the Zatarain's boxed stuff I usually use. Best of all, my kiddos liked it!




Dirty Rice
slightly adapted from Southern Plate


Ingredients:
3-4 Cups cooked rice (I used brown)
1 pound ground turkey, beef, or sausage (I used turkey)
1 1/2 Tablespoons Creole Seasoning (I use Tony Chachere’s), or less if too spicy
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 Bell Pepper, chopped
2 Tablespoons chopped or minced garlic
4 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (or 2 Tablespoons dried)

In large skillet over medium heat, place celery, bell pepper, garlic, onion, parsley, and meat. (My meat was already cooked, so I cooked the vegetables and garlic and one tbsp butter in the skillet and then added my ground turkey.) Break up meat and cook all, stirring regularly, until meat is fully cooked and vegetables are tender. Add Creole seasoning, stir. Stir in rice and continue cooking over medium heat until rice is heated through, stirring well the whole time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails