Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cake Flour Substitute

Ever skipped over a recipe because it called for cake flour and you didn't have it? No more! Try this, it worked like a charm for me!

Cake Flour Substitute

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch

Directions
To make two cups of cake-and-pastry flour (cake flour), combine 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour with 1/4 cup cornstarch; proceed with your recipe.

The easiest way to do this substitution is to put 2 tbsp of cornstarch in the bottom of a 1-cup measuring cup, then fill the cup as usual with all-purpose flour and level top. Repeat process to get your two cups.

If you only need 1/2 cup of cake flour, put 1 tbsp cornstarch in bottom of 1/2 cup measuring cup, then fill and level as above.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Amber,

My Kitchen Cafe and your blog are my favorite in regards to recipes and tips. Thanks! And I loved your cream of chicken recipe. I do cringe a little when I make meals with that in it so very helpful.

And so excited you got your camera. It is fun learning it. You'll really enjoy it if you know how to do aperture/shutter speed. You may know how to. But that is where it gets real fun. I wonder if you got a 1.4 or 1.8 lens? I am saving to get a 1.4 lens. Can't wait.

Well, thanks again.

amber@This Mommy Cooks said...

Thanks Laura! You are so sweet! I love My Kitchen Cafe too! I am pretty excited my camera as well. I have a lot of learning to do. I got a 1.8, it's manual, so I have a lot of learning about precision to do! Suzanne gave me the tip about subjects being on the same plane to prevent blurriness, hoping that helps me! What kind of camera do you have?

Laura said...

I have a Canon Rebel xs. Someone who is really into photography told me about an author who has published books on learning how to use an slr camera. When I find that name (I wrote it down somewhere), I'll let you know. Some things that I learned with manual:
- the light meter (if you can figure this out you won't have to use flash as much)
- white balance ( I would like to purchase a grey card. Suzanne said this has made the biggest difference in her pictures)

Well, that is only two things I can think of. I have so much to learn but I love it. It is faschinating esp to get creative pictures of those you love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails