Monday, February 1, 2010

Soda Pop Pound Cake

Last week I had the urge to bake something, so I decided to try out this recipe that The Pioneer Woman had posted called Perfect Pound Cake. The secret ingredient? Sprite! It was too intriguing to pass up, so I tried it out. It is delicious. Very moist, my family is definitely enjoying this one. I will tell you a problem I tend to have with pound cakes. My tops tend to get pretty brown, before the middle is actually done. I thought mine was done, removed it, placed it upside down on a cake platter and when I came back 10 minutes later, there was batter oozing out. Uh oh! I then inverted the cake back into the pan and placed it back into the oven and baked it a little longer. I think I'm coming to realize, that even though the top might be browning quickly, that doesn't mean the outsides of the actual cake are. And I like my pound cakes to have a nice crunchy outside. So what I'm trying to say is, make sure the middle is done before you remove it from the oven, not when you think it is burning. Because chances are, it's not. You can perform the toothpick challenge to truely test the "doneness" of your cake, in this case, I didn't and my cake suffered. It is not so pretty, so you won't see a picture of the finished cake on said cake stand. Sorry.





Soda Pop Pound Cake
slightly adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:
3 sticks Butter, softened
3 cups Sugar
5 whole Eggs
1 teaspoon Butter Flavoring or Vanilla Butter and Nut Flavoring
2 teaspoons Lemon Flavoring or 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
3 cups All-purpose Flour
1 cup Sprite, 7-UP, Or Sierra Mist

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Cream butter. Add sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing after each addition. Add flavorings and juice and mix well. Add flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add soft drink, then mix together until combined. Scrape sides of bowl, then mix briefly.

Pour into a greased Bundt pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, until the cake is no longer jiggly. *I grease my Bundt pan and flour it to help prevent sticking.

Remove cake from oven and invert pan until cake drops out.



Cream butter and sugar together.

Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Then add flavorings.


Add flour. Mixing after each cup is added. Mix entire batter well, scraping the bowl.

Pour batter into greased and floured Bundt pan.


Place in preheated 325 degree oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes until cake is set and no longer jiggly.


Enjoy your Soda Pop Pound Cake! Yum!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails