Monday, February 2, 2009

Broiled Mozzarella and Tomato Bruschetta

I wanted to make some Bruschetta on Sunday so I googled some recipes. I found this one below that sounded really good. I actually didn't follow the recipe very well... I posted it here, but I am also going to put what I actually did. It was really yummy!



Broiled Mozzarella and Tomato Bruschetta

Ingredients:
1 long French or Italian bread
1/4 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp.  salt
1/4 tsp.  pepper
2 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
1/2 cup  chopped green onions (about 4)
1-1/2 cups  shredded mozzarella cheese

Cooking Instructions:
Preheat the broiler element of the oven.
Cut the bread in half crosswise, then slice in half lengthwise -- making sure the two halves are as evenly sliced as possible. Arrange the four pieces of bread -- cut side up -- on a baking sheet.
In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil and garlic. With a small brush, brush this oil over the cut sides of the bread. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Place under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes -- until just lightly toasted. Remove from oven.
Stir together the tomatoes and green onions. Spoon over the toasted side of the bread. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Return pan to the oven and broil just until the cheese melts and begins to bubble -- 2 to 4 minutes. Cut bruschetta into sections and serve while still hot.

*Here's what I actually did:
I sliced half of a french loaf into half inch pieces. Put them all on a baking sheet. I combined some olive oil and garlic (no measurements) and brushed it on top of the bread. I put it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until toasted. Meanwhile, I cut up 3 Roma tomatoes and 1 green onion. I added about a tsp of minced garlic and a tablespoon or two of olive oil. I spooned the tomato mixture on top of the bread and then put shredded mozzarella cheese on top of that. Put the cookie sheet back into the oven on broil until the cheese melts, about 1-2 minutes. This was SO yummy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails