Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I found a new cooking blog by way of my friend Katie's cooking blog. It's called My Kitchen Cafe. I made this tonight, and it was WONDERFUL!!! I definitely recommend making it. I know it seems like it will take forever since it has to be in the oven for an hour, but it didn't take long at all. The most difficult part was cooking the chicken in the skillet, it was quite messy, but other than that, it was totally worth the mess! I served this with brown rice or fried rice, broccoli and I did make extra sauce. DELICIOUS!!




Sweet and Sour Chicken
from My Kitchen Cafe
Chicken Ingredients:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch (flour works just about as well)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil

Directions to cook chicken:
Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in egg. Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish. Mix sauce ingredients (below) together and pour over chicken.

Sauce Ingredients:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup regular white vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Directions to bake chicken:
Bake for one hour at 325 degrees. Turn chicken every 15 minutes. If you like extra sauce, make another batch of sauce and bring it to a boil on the stove top. Stir constantly and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced - about 6-8 minutes.

This recipe is linked to Mangos and Chutney.

10 comments:

Jan said...

Yummy!!! I will have to make this soon. Thanks Amber!

Cecilia said...

That sounds delicious! I'm so ready to get back cooking! I will definitely be trying that one! Thanks Amber! You're such a good Mommy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this recipe.. I made it tonight and it was wonderful! Hope you all are having a good 2009 and congrats on selling your house in memphis!

Andrea Jones

Laura said...

Amber, do you use regular vinegar or apple cider vinegar?

amber@This Mommy Cooks said...

Regular white vinegar.

kristen said...

I made this a few nights ago and it was a big hit! I cooked mine the whole time in the wok b/c I didn't have enough time to bake it and it turned out great! Thanks for the recipe!

Tristin said...

I made this recipe last week and followed the directions exactly--which I hardly ever do unless I'm baking... and it was delicious! Super-impressed!

devonspires said...

I made this today... and it was SO good! :) The whole family loved it (except my 17 month old!!) :)

Do you think I could make some of the chicken before the sauce is added and freeze it for later and then make the sauce fresh? Or do you think it would be soggy?

Shu Han said...

i'm really impressed that you know about the chinese cooks' 'secret' to really tender meat in stifries! taht coating beforehand is called velveting! (:

http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/02/secrets-to-chinese-stir-fry.html

Anonymous said...

Made this for supper tonight. It was delicious !!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails